Monday, June 20, 2011

Stack O' Books

What does the English teacher read over summer vacation? Anything. Everything. Nothing to brag about. When I get on a roll, I read (on average) a book each day. I went to Target and took a picture of all of the "beach read" books that they are selling with my iPhone. I went home and and requested each of these books from the library. The stack pictured shows the few titles that were available from the local library for me to check out today.  I don't know who said, "You can't judge a book by the cover." I do. The more interesting the cover, the more I want to read the book. I am lover of fonts, colors, pictures and titles. I also looked at the Wall Street Journal and the "best seller" page. I try to keep in mind that "best seller" is based on quantity not quality. I get book recommendations from friends, family, from students (maybe not this year's sOpHoMoReS), from advertisements in People magazine. Sophisticated? Not me. Not at all. Bring on the mindless beach reads and let me escape.  So far, I have read three books, so memorable that I can't recall the titles OR the authors after drinking a small glass of wine.

No comments: